View Single Post
Old 29th April 2019, 12:50   #56044  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charky View Post
Well, again, that's just your opinion

Above a certain price tag, most recent displays have at least one mode that's accurate.

Or, should I say, "accurate enough", cause of course you'll answer me "it's not accurate enough for me, I need a dE of 0,1 on all the color spectrum !".

Again, that's OK, it's just not everybody's needs. Some of us are not color maniacs and are perfectly fine with the stock colors of their "Cinema" mode of whatever is called the best mode on their TVs or projectors.
BEFORE Madvr graced us with 3Dlut support, the only way to get calibrated was to buy $500 lut-boxes. These doohikies weren't even that reliable outside of their designated applications and hookups. +$230 for the colorimeter, We were looking at $730. It costs even more in europe which don't enjoy 'Murica pricing, they'd be looking at ~$8-900

When the Madvr color enlightenment happened, The price to get accurate Colors dropped to simply the cost of the colorimeter, gaming changing.

__
Your argument is the same as saying a Blind person doesn't need eyes. A blind person can live well in modernity, but he'd still be much better off With-Eyes had we the technology to do such a thing.

That's exactly how computers are without a colorimeter, BLIND.

Calibration is NOT all about Delta E. It's about color Balance and Intent. A critical part of movie making labor is color-grading. This is something you already Paid For when you acquire any digital-media. The director and color artist sit in a dim gray room, forgoing vitamin D critical to their health, to bring us fantastic media.

The color subtleties and director's intent are thoroughly Obliterated without Color calibration. This is as true of $300 tvs as $2000 tvs.

The reason we can't get a good out of the box performance is PRECISELY because of general consumer ignorance. Never having SEEN an image remotely close to reference, a crass consumer can only decide based on very basic properties, them being, brighter, more saturated, sharper, and bluer. In catering to this crowd, tv-makers have no option but to release terribly inaccurate sets.

From the director's point of view, there is no right/wrong color, he's the producer.

From the consumer's point of view, there IS a right color, the color the producer chose. In this case, on the viewer end, it either Is that color or it Isn't, Neither you nor your PC will ever know right from wrong without a 3Dlut. To choose Uncalibrated is to choose ignorance.

Good-Taste, comes at a cost, and has to itself be trained. There is of course Freedom in choosing a more blue image, but Not before establishing Reference.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 29th April 2019 at 13:18.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote