View Single Post
Old 12th June 2020, 05:45   #7656  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
the comparatively enormous number of 64x64 blocks with rskip 2 to me, though-- from a total of 6.79% (normal + rect) to 65.33% (normal + rect)!
That puzzled me as well. Disabling early exits seems to favour bigger CUs in this case. Maybe it's something related to this test clip being HDR, so the image is quite flat compared to the graded result (edit: correctly displayed HDR) on the TV. Plenty of action, but plenty of plain white looking areas when I play the result back on my SDR display.

I checked a couple of frames where I found some onion artifacting -- happened to be next to edges -- and rskip 2 did fix them. So it's definitely helpful.

Quote:
Is there any way to get CU-type in a more readable format than setting csv-log-level=1 and viewing the generated file in an Excel/CSV viewer? Would greatly help with some comparison's I've been doing for myself.
I'm afraid not. That is something I'd like to see as well, averages like I put there and also information regarding refs. All those you can see with x264 so I don't know why the statistics were not considered for x265. If I was a coder, I would definitely submit a patch for it.

Last edited by Boulder; 12th June 2020 at 08:52.
Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote