View Single Post
Old 14th February 2020, 20:11   #1  |  Link
nhw_pulsar

NHW Project - a free state-of-the-art image/video compression codec

Hello,

Nice to post on this forum!

I have developed a free open-source state-of-art wavelet-based image compression codec called: NHW Project.

To give a very quick presentation, the NHW Project is a new codec and new technology.Its new approach would be to have a better neatness of image, -whereas the other codecs like AOM AV1 intra (AVIF) and HEVC intra would decrease neatness but have in return a better precision like detail retention-.

But based on visual comparison tests, actually, I find that the good neatness of NHW can be visually more pleasant, for high quality to very high compression, up to -l13 quality setting for now, typically in the 0.2bpp-4bpp range.

The NHW Project is furthermore very fast to encode/decode and is royalty-free.

Here is the NHW Project demo page address: http://nhwcodec.blogspot.com/ .You can also find on that page a link to the GitHub repo.

-Just a remark if you want to test the NHW Project, its 3 new entropy coding schemes are not totally optimal for now, I have the fast ideas to improve them, and so we can save 2.5KB per .nhw compresed file in average.-

Actually, the NHW Project is for now an experimental demo version for 512x512 bitmap color images, and rather just a proof of concept for now.-I would like that the NHW Project becomes my full-time activity now to be able to improve it and develop it into something professional and deployable (as it will require full-time work, I have also ideas for a video codec), but it is very difficult to find a company/organization that could support me and my work...-

Any advice/feedback on the NHW Project would be just great!

Thank you very much!
Cheers,
Raphael

Last edited by nhw_pulsar; 17th February 2020 at 23:48. Reason: Less aggressive message
nhw_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote