View Single Post
Old 1st July 2020, 20:18   #8  |  Link
nhw_pulsar

Hello,

I posted here again and still don't know if it's the right place, because it seems very difficult to find niche cases for the NHW Project.

I contacted again the company that was interested in the NHW Project for low-power IP cameras working in remote environment, hope this was not confidential, they were considering about using the ESP32 chip (dual-core 240MHz Xtensa LX6) for one of their products, and as NHW is faster than MotionJPEG they could be then interested, but finally it seems that this "exploration" project is definitely abandoned... )-:

It makes me think that speed would be the main advantage of NHW, and maybe I'm completely dreaming, but it could be interesting for mobile/embedded devices with limited battery life especially in the 4K/8K era? Here are few timing numbers of NHW compared to the extremely optimized x265 codec on 512x512 bitmap/ppm color images:
encode time: NHW : 30ms - x265 fastest: 78ms - x265 medium: 310ms
decode time: NHW : 15ms - x265 : 31 ms
But NHW is totally unoptimized, so with a normal optimization (and not the best) with multi-threading and SIMD for example (5x speed up), NHW is then at least 13x faster to encode than x265 fastest or 52x faster to encode than x265 medium and at least 10.3x faster to decode than x265.
For quality/compression, this is a question of "taste" actually, because x265 has a very good precision, and for me NHW has a very good neatness, and according to my tests, on rather good quality images, I find that more neatness (NHW) is more pleasant in 80%-85% of the cases.

So these speed numbers could be really interesting for mobile/embedded devices (shooting a video on a mobile phone for example) because it will really save on power consumption and very enhance battery life for a comparable quality/compression? Yes, I am just trying to find application for my codec where it can have an advantage over the other codecs, but I strongly suspect that I am completely dreaming and foolish to believe that NHW could penetrate the mobile/embedded devices market?

If you think so and that I really need to be brought back to reality, do not hesitate to do so.Maybe NHW is definitely a niche codec, and I must really focus on finding a niche for it?

Again any feedback would be really welcome (even if I don't know if a niche codec is the right place here).

Cheers,
Raphael
nhw_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote