View Single Post
Old 8th February 2019, 14:54   #54628  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Thank you very much as I know nothing about setting up HDR with my JVC NX9 projector. I think the default in madvr is 400 nits, whats different between it and your 185 nits please?

I feel that the proj isnt quite bright enough on their auto tone mapping as they have a slider for different size screens and gain, however they give no advice where to place the slider, its defaulted to a 120" screen with a gain of 1.

I want to test the madvr auto dynamic tone mapping to see it its better than the one in JVC. madshi said its very easy to setup but I just dont understand about the nits and what number to use for that setting..

Even a Google doesnt help my in this case....
I would start at 200 nits and raise it until the image has sufficient contrast. Increasing the target nits will make the image darker but with greater high dynamic range and contrast. Lowering this value will make the image brighter at the expense of raising black a bit and clipping highlight detail. The lower the number, the greater the tone mapping compression, but the brighter the image.

It would also help to use the current test build found in Soulnight's thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...rget-nits.html.

There is actually a new test build available if you browse to Page 24, Post #712 that hasn't yet been added to the first post.

To use the test build, extract the zip file into the madVR installation folder overwriting existing files. madVR must be closed when you do this.

I prefer "highlight recovery strength" set to "medium," but higher values can also work. Make sure you uncheck all of the checkboxes related to tone mapping under "trade quality for performance." The other options have been simplified in this build.

If you get that far and want to go further, you can try pre-measuring your files with madMeasureHDR as explained here:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...406#pid2750406

Once your files are measured, you can experiment with some of the other tools mentioned there, including Soulnight's dynamic target nits tool.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote