View Single Post
Old 14th November 2011, 13:28   #15  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkiller View Post
Sure they do, but as soon as a DVD Player is forced to output PAL while playing an NTSC DVD things won't be quite smooth anymore. It's only as smooth as can be if the DVD-Player is allowed to output NTSC (or PAL60) as well which might cause problems on a few TV's. And from what I've seen, the standard setting of DVD-Players sold in Europe is to always output PAL, you'd have to change it to Auto yourself.
See the image below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibs View Post
Thanks, very helpful link. I've tried playing a regular NTSC disc on four DVD / TV sets, all older TVs were not able to play it without the same problems as I was having with my disc, and that's enough for me not to go this route sadly, I wish I could've.
I said that [almost] all PAL gear can play/display NTSC videos. I said however not that they will accept NTSC. Very few PAL gear, mostly in profi field, can natively treat NTSC videos. The rest of the NTSC compatible devices convert NTSC into PAL60.

MOD.PAL is actually PAL60, without entering into many details an NTSC-video having NTSC framesize and fps but encoded as PAL. Snapshot from my Pioneer's handbook.