View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2008, 03:12   #18  |  Link
tobinaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinaka View Post
UMEZAWA also says that he develops Ut Video for post-P4 CPU. He won't write MMX code even if MMX is faster because MMX is doomed -- 64bit Windows couldn't use MMX practically (though he uses MMX at a single part )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Huh? This statement is nonsensical.
I've just began to learn C programming, and CPU extentions are long way for me to go... My posts of the introductions into Japanese programs have two problem: my English and my knowledge. Hmm, I should learn the extentions... Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Any CPU that supports SSE also supports MMX. And that won't change with future CPU's, unless they want to break compatibility to millions of existing applications.

Also why should MMX not work under 64-Bit Windows? I never heard anything like that before.

It's not like SSE is intended to replace MMX. They are two distinct sets of instructions. Why limit yourself to SSE, when you have both, MMX and SSE, available?

You would only make your assembly code slower than it could be...
Oh, yeah, you have a point. I'll ask him about that. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak View Post
Maybe he got confused by the topic Avery discusses here?
That article is easy to understand for me, thanks! OK. It helps me how he came to think MMX can't use on 64bit Windows, then I can tell him about the discussion on MMX here easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid_80 View Post
If that's what he wants then fair enough. Since the code is GPL there's no reason to pressure the author to add something he doesn't want to.
Certainly. You're the gentleman. But I think the discussion here helps him very well. And, don't worry, however you tell him to do anything he doesn't want to, he won't do
tobinaka is offline   Reply With Quote