View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2017, 07:19   #25859  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozuul View Post
Is there an easy way to brighten the output of a video? I was looking back at change logs, and one from January 2016 mentioned a filter, but I was unsure how that works? Is that a hidden option?

Thanks for the help.
As JD mentions above, 'tweak' is a simple but excellent Avisynth filter to use. I use it a LOT for films where I feel that the contrast could be boosted a little, or the colours need a tad more saturation, etc. Many times if you want to boost the contrast, it naturally also gets brighter, so many times I will boost the contrast and lower the brightness at the same time. You probably already do this, but if you take a small snippet of the film and use an .avs script to preview it, you can tweak it a number of times and change the settings to see how it will look in the final encode. Here are some of the scripts I've used for certain films:

LADY IN THE WATER: (cont=1.2, Sat=1.2) This was one of my very first tries, so I probably overdid it a little But, for me, I just can't stand really washed out looking films and prefer a 'sharper' or more contrasted image. I KNOW videophiles will pale in horror, but that is just my personal taste with some films. I only usually go to the trouble to do it if the print REALLY bugs me.

Another film that was REALLY washed out was 'GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE' But, that was likely just due to the film stock used at the time. I used these settings on that print:

Sharpen(.8)
tweak(cont=1.20, bright=-12)

In this case, the film is already pretty bright, but I wanted more sharpness and delineation, so in boosting the contrast I had to lower the brightness. The Avisynth 'sharpness' setting is pretty primitive, so I only use it sparingly. Normally, just using contrast, brightness, and sometimes saturation is enough. Again, this is one of my very first tries at Avisynth; I've since found better 'sharpness' filters.

Other films where I've used Avisynth are 'FORTRESS' & 'THE THIRTEENTH FLOOR'. Both 'DRACULA' (1979) and 'SEA OF LOVE' were SO bloody dark and washed out, that I REALLY had to tweak those two a lot. These were the settings I used for them:

DRACULA: tweak(cont=1.40, bright=1, Sat=1.3, startHue=325, endHue=15, maxSat=75)

SEA OF LOVE: tweak(cont=1.5, bright=-4)

I've probably only done around 12-15 films total.

Last edited by Lathe; 23rd April 2017 at 07:26.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote