View Single Post
Old 6th August 2009, 20:46   #1  |  Link
Tack
Freevo Developer

HOWTO: running eac3to under wine with Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater for DTS-HD decoding

I wasted a bit of time trying to get this working, so I thought I'd provide a brief overview of how I accomplished this in the hope that it may benefit others. Hopefully I've listed all the relevant keywords in the title to help people find this post.

What you'll get:
  • A copy of eac3to armed with DTS-HD decoding capabilities that can be run on your favorite operating system using an absolutely minimalist install of "Windows" under wine.

Things you'll need:
  1. A Linux installation (I use Ubuntu Hardy) and some Linux know-how.
  2. A recent copy of eac3to: fetch it from the eac3to thread.
  3. A very recent installation of wine; I use 1.1.26 available at winehq.org, which installs trivially under Ubuntu. A very recent version is needed otherwise you'll have problems reading files larger than 4G (and in the HD world, that's most of them).
  4. Your legally obtained copy of ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater. I have read that the most recent versions don't work so well, but cannot confirm. Please follow up with which versions work and which don't. Version 2.1.6.113 works.
  5. A copy of msvcp60.dll and msvcp71.dll, which you might well already have, otherwise can be fetched (legally, I'm reasonably sure) at dll-files.com.
  6. Minimal deductive reasoning skills to adapt the instructions in this howto to your own environment.

Installation pre-checks:
  1. Wine is installed, works, and is recent:
    Code:
    $ wine --version
    wine-1.1.26
  2. A clean "install" of eac3to exists in ~/eac3to/ (just unzip it there, if not).
  3. You're not doing any of this as root, right?

Steps:
  1. If, like me, you use wine exclusively for eac3to, then feel free to blow away your wine data:
    Code:
    $ rm -rf ~/.wine
    Or, if you have stuff you want to keep, then back it up, because we're going to get it messy:
    Code:
    $ cp -a ~/.wine ~/.wine.bak
  2. Pop your ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater CD in and start the setup:
    Code:
    $ cd /media/cdrom
    $ wine Setup.exe
    Then the usual next/next/next/finish dance of Windows installations. If you get errors that regsvr32.exe has crashed, or "Sorry, this application cannot run under a Virtual Machine," you can (apparently) safely ignore these. This is life under Wine.

3. After the installation is complete, don't bother running it. We're just going to cannibalize the installation for some files. These ones, specifically:
    • ASAudioHD.ax
    • checkactivate.dll
    • DtsDec.dll
    • dtsdecoderdll.dll
    • MagCore.dll
    • MagPCMac.dll
    • MagUIEngine.dll
    • MagUIInter.dll

They're in different locations:
    Code:
    $ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program*/Common*/ArcSoft/MPEG*
    $ cp ASAudioHD.ax checkactivate.dll DtsDec.dll dtsdecoderdll.dll ~/eac3to
    $ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program*/ArcSoft*/Total*
    $ cp MagCore.dll MagPCMac.dll MagUIEngine.dll MagUIInter.dll ~/eac3to
  4. That's all we need. Now wipe out ~/.wine again:
    Code:
    $ rm -rf ~/.wine
    If you backed up your previous copy, restore it now (but remember to execute the above command):
    Code:
    $ mv ~/.wine.bak ~/.wine
  5. Register the decoder:
    Code:
    $ wine regsvr32.exe ~/eac3to/ASAudioHD.ax
    Doing this will recreate a nice, pristine ~/.wine (if necessary).

6. Copy msvcp60.dll and msvcr71.dll (which were listed in "Things You'll Need") into wine tree; supposing you put them in ~, then:
    Code:
    cp ~/msvcp60.dll ~/msvcp71.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/
  7. You should be good to go. Verify it's working:
    Code:
    $ wine ~/eac3to/eac3to.exe -test
    Wine does tend to spew debugging, warnings, or even errors, some of which can generally be ignored. Look for this in the output:
    Code:
    Decoded audio will be stored in the following files:
        file_L_R.wav for front left channel and front right channel
        file_C_LFE1.wav for center channel and LFE channel
        file_Ls_Rs.wav for srrd left channel and srrd right channel
    ArcSoft DTS Decoder (1.1.0.0) works fine
  8. Now give it a try on some real content, e.g. (assuming of course track 3 is DTS-HD):
    Code:
    $ cd /some/place/with/a/bd/rip/BDMV/
    $ wine ~/eac3to/eac3to.exe PLAYLIST 1\) 3: audio.flac

Lastly, many thanks to the developers and contributors of eac3to.

Good luck!