View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:41   #25  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-BaLL View Post
Its because some clown encoded the DVD who has no clue about standards etc. It isnt even a DVD standard.
Maybe you've just never seen a 352x480 DVD (I've seen lots), but I assure you it's a part of the DVD standard:
Quote:
NTSC (NTSC Film)

Video:
Up to 9.8 Mbit/s* (9800 Kbit/s*) MPEG2 video
Up to 1.856 Mbit/s (1856 Kbit/s) MPEG1 video
720 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Called Full-D1)
704 x 480 pixels MPEG2
352 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Called Half-D1, same as the CVD Standard)
352 x 240 pixels MPEG2
352 x 240 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)
29,97 fps*
23,976 fps with 3:2 pulldown = 29,97 playback fps (NTSC Film, this is only supported by MPEG2 video)
16:9 Anamorphic (only supported by 720x480)
http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

Other sources will give you the same specs.

I think it's safe to say there has never been a 2.76:1 film released in South Asia (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka). Almost all theatrical films are released in 2.35:1 in South Asia these days. And I have seen a ton of what were originally 2.35:1 South Asian films cropped and then put on 4:3 DVDs similar to this one, but usually at 720x480.

Having said that, I made the square pixel resolution ratio (~2:1) based on the DAR and amount of black bars in the sample. And it's correct. The film is on the sample at about a 2:1 ratio. However, after reading what you wrote, I went back and decided the DVD itself is in the wrong ratio, that it plays with people too thin. So you're right and I apologize.

Whether the aspect ratio becomes correct at 2.76:1, I don't know. I rather like 2.35:1 now, as it was the theatrical aspect ratio. I'd suggest Music Rockz go through the movie carefully to find something round (a sun, moon, ball, a tire or a clock viewed straight on, that sort of thing) and play with the resolution until it looks correct to him. I don't think you can really just tell from people's faces.
Quote:
On top of it, it was videotaped off a cinema sceen as well with some vhs camera or smth like that.
I don't think so, My guess is it's a retail DVD, or reencoded from what was originally a retail DVD. Filming a screen doesn't get you field blending and interlacing. Until you've seen a few, you have no idea just how bad South Asian DVDs can be. They're easily the very worst in the world. Again, I apologize for contradicting you before looking at this thing more closely.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote