View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2009, 21:45   #1041  |  Link
MilesAhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_111 View Post
AVStoDVD 2.2.2 is really slow for me (first time I tried AVStoDVD). Just ~25fps with a 2.66GHz Core2Quad and default settings, I tried to convert a 40min 720p MKV (H264+AC3) with QUenc (~24fps) and HCenc (15fps@1-pass) as a test. RipBot264 and DVDRebuilder work with normal speed for me (Win7 Home Premium 64bit). Any ideas what I can do to speed it up or narrow down what causes the slow encoding?
One test isn't out and out proof, but I did a DVD-RB Pro conversion on my quad with HC 0.23 HC 0.24 May beta and HC 0.24 Sept. beta. I deleted all intermediate files between tests and used the same source with the same settings, 4 instances of HC 2 pass best profile.

The first 2 runs the video processing time was 55 minutes. But the Sept. 0.24 HC beta came in at 50 minutes. I couldn't see any qualitative difference. For @10% speed up it may be worth some copying and renaming.

edit: the other consideration is running 4 instances of HC will be with multi-threading disabled, whereas with AVStoDVD you will be running a single instance with mult-threading enabled if you're on a multi-core. So mileage may vary a bit on that score. Still, I doubt the new HC will be slower in that scenario.

Last edited by MilesAhead; 22nd October 2009 at 21:49.
MilesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote