View Single Post
Old 7th April 2008, 07:37   #5  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Ignorant people are already starting to claim that removing the DRM is only for pirates, when they forget that you should be able to backup and loan your property regardless of what any EULA says (not tested in courts + First Use Doctrine often over-rides what is printed in software manuals). I'd like it to be reported so that I can point these dim-witts to a respectable anti-DRM site when they claim something so stupid.
It would be one thing if loaning didn't involve making a copy of it. Back in the day you had to hand over the piece of property in order for it to be considered loaning it. But in a non DRM digital world you don't lose anything when you loan it, you simply make a copy of it and give it to your friend. This isn't loaning, this is copying.

Quote:
My PSP is falling apart, causing me to avoid buying anything on the PSN. Why? Because I may want/need to upgrade to a PSP-2000 "slim & lite" model and I will lose all my purchased content when the old one gives up its ghost. Even if I buy a new one because its analog nub & D-Pad issues get to be too much to bear (not even considering the faceplace detaching/cracking, missing screws, and discolored LCD), it forces me to keep it around for those games instead of refurbishing it (new backlight, faceplate+screws, D-Pad mod, analog nub: ~$20) or selling it for parts/cheap (it still functions!).
Granted that type of DRMing is retarded and should never be used. A decent DRM scheme would allow for deactivation on an old device followed with activation on a new device. A scheme like that would also provide you with the opportunity to sell it as a used content to a third party and transfer it to them, and deactivate it from you.

Quote:
I have always been a TRUE "backup" user. I had backup hardware for my GB/GBC, SNES, N64, etc and I still bought and imported all my games. Often, I used them for additional purposes such as translation patches, homebrew, portability through consolidation, etc. I value my PHYSICAL collection and I resist the move to fully digital downloads without a personal right to a transferrable (thus, tangible) copy/license. This new PSP tool is a God-send. I can go ahead and buy Echochrome, a game that will only be available on disc (UMD) outside of The States, and I can share it with friends (loaning) so that they can buy it through word-of-mouth (it's that kind of indie-game). I could only loan them my entire PSP before, which still violates their EULA.
Guess you got alot of money on your hands. But what I said above applies. DRM itself is not a bad idea, it's simply the implementation that is bad.

Quote:

Was anyone else ticked off when they opened thier physical retail version of Crysis and saw "Do not lend this disc" printed on it? Who are they to tell me what I can do with my property? First Use Doctrine applies in the same way that Blockbuster doesn't truly have Weinsein Company DVDs for rent (competitors just have to buy retail copies).

Edit: I meant to place this in the "News" forum. Can a mod/admin move it? Thanks!
Well it's like asking a company to put "give this disc to all your friends and let them install it and copy it and play it without paying for it" on the package. This isn't like the days of nintendo where you had to actually have the original copy when you gave it to your friend. Now you can give it to your friend, he can copy the game onto a CD and then give you back the original.

The biggest problem with digital goods is currently there is no system in place for removing the friends ability to play a game once they return the original. If they can manage that then it would become truly loaning again as only a single machine would be able to play it at a time.

Quote:
your entire steam/Xbox rant
Steam did it right. The problem with a single game trying to change the way steam operates is ludacris.

The main problem I have with your console to PC comparison is that passing a controller is not the same as installing the entire game onto another machine. Once again you miss the point about loaning/taking turns. When doing so the controller/Game is only in a single persons hands, meaning you both can't play a single player game at the same time. PC's are not meant for in person multi-player situations. You knew that when you built the machine. If you want in person multiplayer support buy a gaming console like the XBOX instead of being pissed off that you can't install the game on 5 machines in your house and play multiplayer.

I honestly don't think I can ever fully be anti-DRM. Yes I am against certain policies. However I do think that companies have a right to determine how the product that they have created is used. If someone doesn't like the way it's laid out for them then simply don't buy the game.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote