View Single Post
Old 5th April 2019, 06:49   #10  |  Link
z_thunder

Hi Ben, hi all,
scope of this post is try and clarify some of the issues that are being debated in this thread.
My name is Giovanni Ballocca and I’m currently with Sisvel Technology (just to be clear on my position).
I can understand your doubts springing from the current lack of a patent list, but there’s a reason behind that I’m willing to explain.
We’ve been working for some months now to the creation of this licensing program having in mind that the technologies covered, even though not international standards, have been designed in the perspective of a global outreach.
We have, therefore, decided to use the same level of care that we normally apply when dealing with any other standard covered technology (Sisvel has been running licensing program on technologies standardized by the DVB and other SDOs for a long time).
This typically requires a facilitation phase to aggregate a critical mass of IP that ensures the program is not technically irrelevant; appropriate royalty determination; public patent call to open the process to all the interested actors; third party evaluation of the patents (it cannot be us to decide whether or not a patent is necessary to practice a given specification).
As you might have probably heard from the news, we just opened the patent call (other patent owners have shown a definite interest in joining the program) and are in the third party evaluation phase. Only the patent evaluated necessary to perform the specs will be published in the list and this will happen by the end of Q2 2019.
No licensing discussions will be started before the list of patents is made available.
Regarding the specific date for the launch of the program, there is no specific intention to target the NAB or any other event: if you consider the calendar of tradeshows in the CE and ICT space with global relevance it’s almost impossible to announce anything without the risk to collide with some external event. By the way, being involved in other broadcast related business, we’ll be present at the NAB and available chats and clarifications if needed.
I’ll be happy to provide further clarifications where possible.
G.

Last edited by z_thunder; 5th April 2019 at 07:52.
z_thunder is offline   Reply With Quote