View Single Post
Old 17th November 2019, 05:13   #17767  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

ATT: Atak...suggestion for significant change to autoupdates-

You might be done with me, but I'm done, here...

I have a suggestion for future updates, that should prevent situations like this, where more & more users are commenting on the DE problem, that I tried to help with.

There is very little control over how updates for RB work, you either get them, or you don't...simple as that.

The problem is, it all happens quite covertly in the background (if you're online), and the only noticable way you know there's been an update is the next time you start the app, and you see the little pop up window appear as the updates are being installed, and by that time it's too late to do anything about it.

Then, if there's a major problem (like now), the user has very limited options, either try to use the app as is, OR download the latest available FULL version from page 1, and leave it at that, as doing an autoupdate just takes you straight back to the problem build (vicious circle).

Unfortunately, the only available build is v1.24, which is way back in January '19, as you haven't bothered to post v1.25, for what ever reason, not that that would be much different, in this case, but better.

So my suggestion is, that you implement some "pop up" that tells the user that "an update is available, would you like to download it", that gives the user a heads up, and a choice, and gives them time to maybe backup their current configuration, so just incase theres a problem, they can be roll it back to the previous working state.

And another thing that might help, is that EVERY update has an incremental change to the version number...we've been on 1.25.0 for months, it should be 1.25.34, or 1.30 by now....