Thread: VirtualDub2
View Single Post
Old 28th September 2018, 14:11   #627  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhh11 View Post
which one is better ?

MagicYUV or Cineform?

cineform compress a lot more but how is the quality compared to magicYUV and uncompressed ?
I've never used VDub(2) for capture per se, but based on my experience transcoding uncompressed 10-bit 422 sources I'm confident that Cineform at 'Film Scan 2' quality would be way, way beyond 'visually lossless' and very close to arithmetically lossless.

What are you planning to do with your captures btw? IMHO, far more important is the compatibility of the capture format with the video systems you use, or are intending to use for subsequent processing. Does the import interface preserve high-bit depth transfer, assuming said system does support high bit depth processing? How does the system handle luminance ranges on import with that particular format - very important to determine the behavior, especially if the system does not have native (SDK implementation) Cineform support ? Process performance in/through said system ? And can you export in the same format, if that is desirable - in which case similar considerations apply with respect to bit-depth transfer and luminance handling at export?

My two cents.

Last edited by WorBry; 29th September 2018 at 05:21.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote