View Single Post
Old 9th April 2009, 09:31   #29  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
could you please also add comparison pics to the haali renderer? I guess that its used by many people as their standard renderer (at least for me ) thats why I'd like how your renderer compares to it.
Argh, another one added. Please use F5 to refresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozio View Post
What was input color space when using VMR9. I never seens such horrible VMR9/EVR output. Did you use YV12 or YUY2? If yes then it is very unfair comparision since on ATI NV12 is color space of choice. It produces very good results near that bad as on your screenshots.
I've used the standard which many decoders output by default, which is YV12. I don't think it's unfair. I didn't even know that ATI produces better results with NV12. And if even I didn't know that how do you think an average HTPC user will know that? Still, I'll look into how ATI compares with NV12...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
First, the installer bat file does not work here. I have to manually register it.
Hmmm... Did you run the batch with admin rights?

Quote:
Second, the output color is certainly different from EVR CP and everything else. I think madVR is wrong though, it kinda "washed out". Output level should be correct though. I tried the TV Level test clip and madVR is certainly not wrong. Or madVR is the only correct one here and all other renderer give me the same wrong so I never notice? I am not sure on that part.
It depends on your source. All the various sources use slightly different color formats/specs, different gamma transfer functions etc. madVR by default does what is needed for correct Blu-Ray playback. So for Blu-Ray maybe madVR is the only renderer with the correct colors? For SD content, however, what madVR does by default is incorrect. You can change the way how madVR does colorspace conversion by creating your own 3dlut file by using the "cr3dlut" tool. That gives you all the options you need including correcting the gamut of your display. A future madVR version will offer these settings in the GUI.

Quote:
Thrid, I didn't try all scaling method, but Lanczos and Spline both crash.
Weird. Could you please try any other besides Lanczos and Spline? Lanczos and Spline both use 3 or 4 taps. All other algorithms use only 2 taps. Maybe that is the difference? On my XPSP2 Lanczos and Spline work fine.

Can anybody else reproduce a crash with Lanczos or Spline activated?

Quote:
Finally, it certainly does not smooth. Compare to, say, EVR CP or mplayer.

Well, that's all. I'm on Windows 7 Beta 7000. ATi HD2600 with Catalysis 9.2
Ok, thanks for feedback. Improving motion smoothness is on the top of my priority list. However, the non-smoothness might also be caused by the HD2600 being too old/slow. Compared to my (entry level) HD3850, the HD2600 only has 1/3 of the shader power and only half of the memory bandwidth. You can try activating some of the "trade quality for performance" options. Maybe that helps smoothness for you?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote