View Single Post
Old 16th September 2020, 09:17   #1  |  Link
JK1974

Most compatible x264 50p/60p encoding settings

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to encode my AVCHD videos (1080i50) in a "future proof" way.

I tend to agree to people saying that progressive output is the future, interlaced is legacy and thus a QTGMC deinterlacing step is recommended, working then with 50p/60p content.
I did some comparison between the 50i and the deinterlaced 50p material e.g. with Kodi on an Odroid-N2, and there is indeed less flickering with the 50p material. But there are of course also slight artifacts in the 50p material, and as technology emerges, deinterlacing algorithms in software and hardware still might become better, so I also see a reason keeping the material interlaced (since I seldom use zooming effects, rotation etc.).

But on the other hand, I am not aware of an open-source NLE that correctly supports correct interlace editing and output. Davinci Resolve might be an alternative, but I have to check if FFMPEGs ProRes output is compatible - I read about problems...

But the most important question for me is: How do I encode the 1080p50 material in the most hardware-compatible and future-proof way?

I remember the MPEG-4-ASP hell back in the 2000s (DivX, XviD, experiments with GOP sizes etc. and only chinese players that supported them), and I donīt want to generate output that only works on my devices without stuttering etc. and might have to be reencoded for future devices due to some incompatible parameters.

Therefore, I used the x264 Blu-ray settings from https://sites.google.com/site/x264bluray with AC3 put into an MKV container as I thought the x264 settings to be a kind of "common sense" that every decoder chip must support.
But 50p/60p is out of the BD specs, and I donīt know if simply changing the level to 4.2 and settings the keyint to 50 or 60 is the right way to go. And since it is really not BD compatible, does it make sense to keep the --bluray-compat parameter?

Does the UHD-BD support 50p/60p, and are compatible settings available? Is there some detailed information how YouTube or VOD videos are encoded or if there is some "common sense" regarding the encoder settings?

Or are the current AVC decoder algorithms in hardware much more tolerant to some extend?

Thanks in advance for any hints!
JK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote