View Single Post
Old 29th August 2019, 12:14   #117  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Well recently overcame problem I was having with W7 WSUS Offline Updates failing after the actual install and reboot, and during boot-up configuration of updates [fail, and rollback uninstall again].
Was due to configuration stage wanting to change something on the system partition (the initial one that boots to the OS partition), where there was no system partition, I was using Linux GRUB
via Linux partition Boot record as boot controller. Switching to make W7 partition active, solved all my probs and then switched back to Linux boot controller after updates all done.

W10 x64 2-in-1 tablet/laptop thingy, is now tediously slow running 1903 [not a fast machine to begin with], pretty much inevitable that I'm taking it back to W10 1709 via ISO clean install,
same for my 32 bit 2-in-1, sod the updates, I dont care anymore.

Got me a marvelous device that I wish I'de gotten years ago, (Dynamode USB 3.0 Hard drive Drop in One touch backup):- https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/...ks-Enclosures/
£20.00 including p+p [EDIT: actually £19.95 with VAT, + £4.00 delivery] (I've seen the exact same device on ebay at £49.99).
It feels a bit naff and 'plastic-y', and the supplied power supply and USB leads are way too short (PSU lead about 1.5 meters), and the One Touch backup button is a complete waste of time
(with backup program running hit the physical device One Touch button is same as clicking on the backup dialog box button).
Despite above probs, I love it, accepts 2.5 + 3.5 bare SATA hard drives, just drop them in and press the on-off button [best switch it off before removal].
I got 8 external hard drives in caddies, and about a dozen bare hard drives that I sometimes have to temp switch into a caddy (with screws and to remove, lose, etc), or sometimes
temp attach as internal drives, this drop in thing is way way way easier [there is a 'ToolLess' ie screwless caddy at same link above, was gonna get that until I saw the drop in box].
Anyways, can highly recommend this type of device (might want a more classy/pricey one rather than linked one, plenty on Amazon), saves a lot of time not being on hands and knees
lookin' for that damn screw that got away.
EDIT: You can use any backup software, looks just like an ordinary removable USB device.

EDIT: I'm probably gonna do clean install of dell OEM windows 7 Pro, and as time goes by, is getting more difficult to find required ISO's.
Download Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 ISO Images Direct From Microsoft:- https://www.raymond.cc/blog/links-fo...l-distributer/
See Also "Heidoc Windows and Office ISO Download Tool" at above link,
links to direct download of MS and Dell images (direct from MS and DELL servers) which may not be officially available any more. (works great).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 8th November 2019 at 12:18.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote