View Single Post
Old 25th May 2008, 04:13   #49  |  Link
WorBry

I have a query that’s sort of related.

The Panasonic GS400 DV camcorder that I shoot most of my home video stuff on also has a pseudo-progressive Frame Mode, which I use from time to time. The accepted understanding (Panasonic have never fully disclosed how it is done) is that the camera captures both fields at the same instant and combines them (possibly with some further electronic manipulation) to produce a frame that is technically interlaced but visually progressive (pseudo-25p). As one might expect, the frames are free from combing, but there tend to be quite conspicuous aliasing artifacts on high contrast edges, possibly arising from the pixel shift and line-pair summation.

I’ve tried various anti-aliasing filters, including the SangNom-based functions, but without satisfactory results; Soulhunter’s SAA script proved the most effective, but at the expense of too much blurring.

One thing I’ve noted about TempGauss MC, is its remarkable capacity to eliminate not only flickering (‘inter-line twitter’, I learn is the technical term in broadcast engineering) but other aliasing artifacts in the process. So, I thought why not test it with some Frame Mode clips also. Of course, I recognized that bobbing a 'progressive' source will (in theory) give dupes (although in practice not entirely identical due to imperfect complementary field interpolation) and so merged the output even and odd frames, like so:

TempGaussMC()
Merge(SelectEven(), SelectOdd(), 0.5)

Actually, the results are really quite good, with no aliasing (well maybe a tad) and far less blur than SAA.

So I’m wondering if Didee might consider looking at adapting the 'motion-compensated temp gauss' concept as a general purpose anti-aliasing function applicable to progressive sources as well.

Here’s the ‘frame mode’ test clip I used (anamorphic 16.9 DV)

http://rapidshare.com/files/11740924...ype_2.avi.html

Last edited by WorBry; 25th May 2008 at 05:48.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote