View Single Post
Old 27th May 2008, 17:44   #57  |  Link
Didée

Well, I'm not sure what to say about that. Applying it to progressive material, the effect can be denominated as ...

a) (pragmatic version) ... a mix of spatial softening and temporal smoothing.

b) (PR department version) ... spatio-temporal super-resolution filter.

Mixing in the way of

AnyBobFilter()
Merge( SelectEven(), SelectOdd() )

is the (mostly) spatial part. The motion-compensated parts of the script will partly consolidate the spatial part (one temporal neighbor is in fact the other spatial field), the rest will manipulate the spatial resolution by temporal processing after motion compensation.

So what to say? It does something, not necessarily something bad, but neither tuned to do something particularily good.

The funny thing about your progressive sample is that there's aliasing in some places, but not everywhere. The aliasing seems to happen mostly in high-contrast areas, but then again, not in all high-contrast areas. For that reason it's hard to find something that acts on only the aliased parts ... the problem is how to identify them.

Somewhen, somewhere, there was a thread by Chainmax about removing aliasing, where I had extracted the averaged-EEDI2-with-contrasharpening-method out of MCBob into a standalone script. Might be worth a try, too.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote