View Single Post
Old 27th December 2020, 17:06   #1264  |  Link
aron7awol

I haven't tried the "don't add DPL" feature yet. It sounds like maybe there is a bug and it isn't working right, but it's not really a big deal. It mostly just makes it a bit more consistent to dial in DTN across different DPLs, and if you guys settled on using a particular DTN before, you'll probably have to experiment to find your new DTN setting with that box checked. But in my testing I really liked the avghighlights ceiling kicking in when it did. It kind of makes DTN a bit less important if DTN is set high enough to hit that ceiling in a lot of cases, but in scenes that don't hit the ceiling there are still noticeable differences between different DTN settings, especially lower ones like 50 vs 75.

Trying to figure out what is highlights and putting a ceiling on the TM target always made sense to me in principle, especially on high-nit displays. It essentially avoids unnecessarily dimming the overall picture for highlights only, but still will dim the picture if the whole scene is really bright and it's not just highlights, and in that scenario we need to dim the picture to fit it all in with good detail. This results in a much more consistent experience as far as brightness, especially on a high-nit display that can really handle 95% of the scenes out there without having to dim the overall picture, and only when we have scenes that the whole scene is pushing the limits do we need to dim everything (which ABL would likely do anyway).
aron7awol is offline   Reply With Quote