Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 16th September 2013, 08:02   #11  |  Link
ultim
AVS+ Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
If it dont compile well with later version compiler, then have a go at them.
VS6 is just fine and any later problems come from later lack of compatibility.
Really annoys me when you need the latest version IE v...whatever to view a web page, misguided at the very least.
I'm sure that you mean well but it dont need that kind of upheaval.

Several posts preceded my outburst, was aimed at Ultim.
Hehe, I don't think I've made an upheaval, but if I did I'm sorry, I didn't intend to. But where I think you're wrong is that you are neglecting most of the community. Certainly, Avisynth doesn't strictly "need" a VS newer than VS6 to compile: compiled with VS6 it will work fine (not too surprising given it was mostly developed on VS6). But the people need newer VS versions. VS6 is so old that most people are used to newer environments, which by the way also brings better features for both debugging and comfort, as well as better compatibility for new OSs.

I find your comparison to a webpage needing the latest browser version highly flawed. Needing only a newer version just for the sake of upgrading sure is misguided. But I didn't upgrade the project to compile only with VS2013. I left VS2005 (which is 8 years old!) and anything newer than that fully supported, and I upgraded for the sake of making it easier for people to compile. That makes 4 different Visual Studio generations supported! If you really want an analogon to webpages, I'd say my move is more like MS trying to banish IE6, which everyone is happy about, except for people who still develop for IE6.

If you intend to keep Avisynth stuck to VS6, it will be an entry barrier for many people who'd otherwise try to contribute to the project. So this is why I think compatibility with VS2005+ is more important than VS6.