View Single Post
Old 14th February 2019, 08:28   #54731  |  Link
Charky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Take a 4K SDR video downscale it to 1080 and do a comparison.. Tell us if you can see any difference. What is "couche distance" though? LOL.

Some people that are buying TVs tell me that they're sitting 3+ meters away from 32" sets.. and I'm like 0_0 How do you enjoy watching something so small from so far away? It's basically torture.
It honestly makes me mad seeing more static wall than moving picture.
I'm not saying that 4K is useless or impossible to tell apart from 1080p in itself, I'm saying that upscaling tech has become so good that, at normal viewing distance (which for me is around 2,5 meters), on the same panel, it's become hard to tell apart native 4K content and upscaled 1080p content. Maybe I could on a VP, but mine is just 1080p

On my TV, I already tried comparing 1080p (upscaled with NGU Sharp) and 2160p bluray ISOs or remuxes of the same movie. As said by someone in a previous post, I only found minor differences when I looked for them on specific shots with sharp textures (and even then, only wheen rubbing my nose on the screen). In real life, moving content, it's almost impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Games are more obvious due to aliasing difference.
I would have told you the same a week ago, but I'm not even sure of that anymore.

I bought Mass Effect Andromeda on PS4 Pro last week to see if it was as bad as everyone said it was (spoiler alert : it's actually a very good game). The game is badly optimized and the PS4 Pro struggles with a 4K output (which is, I believe, "only" 1800p upscaled to 2160p by the console), rendering the game at less than a constant 30fps and it was driving me mad to see the game stutter. So I tried setting the PS4 Pro to output 1080p and let my LG 55C8 do the upscaling, expecting at least a slightly blurry picture I could have lived with. I didn't even get that and honestly can't tell the difference between 1800p upscaled to 2160p by the console, or 1080p upscaled to 2160p by the TV. I didn't even notice an increase in input lag...

Last edited by Charky; 14th February 2019 at 09:31.
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote