View Single Post
Old 17th May 2020, 02:35   #228  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
You're calling judder an artifact? OK, fine, then you avoid this "artifact" by performing IVTC.
NOT TRUE! Look at the film I linked to. That artifact of the vertical lines breaking & then healing as the camera pans horizontally is called judder.

However, I completely agree that you are in safe territory by saying that judder is only caused by telecine, because any simple Google search will turn up lots of sites which say exactly that. However, as my film sample shows, that is not true. Put another way, if you display any 24p, 25p, or even 30p (somewhat rare) material at its native rate, you will see judder, with or without added pulldown (i.e., telecine).

Telecine just makes it worse.

[edit]As is often the case, feeding the correct search parameters to Google will give you the correct answers. Use these search terms and see what you get:

film 24p horizontal panning artifact

First hit links to this page:

https://www.red.com/red-101/camera-panning-speed

which says this:
Being able to control panning is important because moving too quickly can cause unpleasant visual artifacts. Objects or backgrounds may appear to flash across the screen in discrete jumps, for example, whenever the on-screen displacement is too great compared to the duration between frames. This is commonly referred to as strobing or "judder," and has happened since the early days of film.
As I'm sure you know the Red Camera is an ultra-high end product used by pros, and things posted on this site are very professional and very credible.

Last edited by johnmeyer; 17th May 2020 at 02:44.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote