View Single Post
Old 14th June 2019, 18:06   #1737  |  Link
soresu

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwod View Post
And they are also part of the Open Media Alliance. So we now consider anything that is better than AV1 as FUD?
I actually live in the UK, have friends that have worked for the BBC, and I personally consider their motives to be suspect here - joining the AOM is by no means any guarantee that they did so with good intentions at that point, or at any point since, any more than nVidia's presence in the Khronos standards body guarantees their good intentions towards future efforts with OpenCL.

I'm not saying that AV1/libaom are without their failings, but the graphs in the blog articles seem to show worst case scenario numbers for AV1 from what I've seen from other sources in the past (including here), while showing only improvement for VVC - the only positive thing they can write is that AV1/libaom has gotten much faster since their last test.

The best I can say is that they are being somewhat disingenuous towards AOM's efforts thus far, though their potential patent stake in VVC causes me to lean towards a more nefarious angle on the matter.

I would add that I don't in any way believe that VVC or MPEG codecs are intrinsically bad, in fact as an avid follower of ML/AI tech in media I am quite interested to see how it performs once implemented.
It is the vortex of financial incentives that churn around MPEG efforts that has me reaching for my FUD colored glasses.

Last edited by soresu; 14th June 2019 at 18:36.
soresu is offline   Reply With Quote