View Single Post
Old 15th May 2008, 19:20   #4824  |  Link
cghebert

FLAC, LPCM over HDMI in Windows XP

Hi all,

First time poster but I have been following the thread on and off for a while. I recently got one of the new geforce 8200 motherboards that can send multichannel LPCM over HDMI and have been trying to get it setup properly. I am currently running it in XP SP3. I was able to create a 6 channel FLAC file no problem using eac3, and it plays fine in MPC with madflac. However, for some reason my receiver thinks it is getting a 7.1 channel file, instead of a 5.1 channel file, and the surround right and left channels come out of the surround back right and surround back left channels (I have a 7.1 system), while the surround left and right speakers are silent. All the other speakers (including sub), seem to work fine, except for stuttering, which is most certainly a driver issue, since it happens for all audio tracks.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether this is a another driver issue (quite possibly), or an issue related to how eac3 encodes the tracks. Maybe it is encoding the side surrounds as the back surrounds? This seems unlikely and I can't seem to find any reason why eac3 would, but hopefully someone can chime in and shed some light on the situation.