View Single Post
Old 25th August 2012, 17:57   #2  |  Link
Phantom_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulalala View Post
I was using 7z (solid mode) which compress great.
I'm somewhat surprised by the "great" comment.
My experience in lossless compression of image files gives an average of < 10% and in individual cases can actually result in a larger output file. A scan of the net shows that solid mode can do slightly better than basic PkZip, but personally I don't think the difference is worth writing home about.
Feel free to hold a different opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulalala View Post
I learned that x264 supports RGB and lossless.
Just some thought on lossless.
Is your original source digital?
Even if it was a digital source some of the following still applies.

Digitization is inherently lossy. The major issue is the Nyquist limit, but there are others involving the physical hardware employed in the processing (or capture).
Basically, If you do 10 successive scans of the same image you will get 10 different files.
If may be possible to improve compression just by averaging successive scans, but I have not tried this.

Lossless in terms of video processing only applies to how much degradation subsequent processing will cause.
If this is a one off archive then only the losses for the decoding step apply. The display device will introduce some loss.
If multiple decoding and then recoding steps apply then lossless increases in importance.

In these days of multi terabyte storage units and Blueray, do you have a need for compression at all?

Part of your research should include just how much loss you can have and still retain the level of detail required.
None is not one of your options.

Good luck with your project.
Phantom_E is offline   Reply With Quote