View Single Post
Old 13th July 2012, 09:54   #2058  |  Link
Pawpcorn

Ability to set "Target Video FileSize:" ?

Hello, MrC!

I was wondering if there is any "user handle" for being able to set the "Target Video FileSize:" size parameter, that gets passed for each video, to Hcenc, by AVS2DVD prior to encoding?

Here's my situation, and the resulting problem, and my current work-around:

I'm building a series of DVD videos for my Thai English students, which include 5 videos on each DVD:
DVD Menu of "I, Robot", my latest project
1) Trailer
2) The Making Of ...
3) OST Original Soundtrack Music
4) Main Movie, with 2 subtitles available
5) Main Movie with burned in DUAL subtitles

Here's my problem: the OST really consists of a single jpg slide that's just a static CD album picture, non-changing throughout the hour-long music album.

Since it's just a static slide, (and the music is what's important) it really doesn't need more than about a 400 maximum bit rate, and 200 bit rate, to look fine.

I know I can set these 2 values by having the "Edit Encoder Command Parameters at Runtime" checked, and then modifying the HCenc Command INI file "MAXBITRATE" and "BITRATE" settings.

The results of the OST file are fine, because, as you know, it is possible by using these settings, to REDUCE the SIZE of the resultant m2v file below the initial file size parameter "Target Video FileSize:" that you pass to Hcenc.

The PROBLEM is (in the case of the MAIN Movies) that you can't use these same (HCenc Command INI file "MAXBITRATE" and "BITRATE") settings to EXPAND the size (or bit rates used) beyond what was passed as "Target Video FileSize:" to Hcenc.

Thus, you can shrink the file size, but you can't expand the file size, using the Hcenc ini menu. Apparently the "Target Video FileSize:" parameter sets a "hard ceiling" upon the encoding process within Hcenc, not allowing the resultant file size to expand beyond this setting, no matter WHAT larger numbers you pump into the "MAXBITRATE" and "BITRATE" settings.

Since AVS2DVD performs the initial file size estimates apparently based upon the DURATION of each video, the estimate for the OST "movie" file size is MUCH LARGER than required, and thus the AVS2DVD estimate for the file size of the MAIN movies is MUCH SMALLER than desired.

Thus I end up with a DVD with a GB or so of empty space, and lower-than-desired quality on the main movies.

My current work-around is:

1) I perform an encoding process using the defaults of AVS2DVD.

2) I save the satisfactory results of the "Trailer" and "The Making of..." m2v video file for the final muxman process, in the end.

3) I create, manually, using AVS2DVD (and Hcenc), the proper size OST Video m2v video file, (manually setting the Hcenc ini settings for the proper small file size), and .ac3 file, and save these .m2v and .ac3 files, for the final muxman process at the end.

4) I then look at the log file to see what the estimated file size was going to be for the OST video.Then I try to calculate what size a fake OST file would be needed to be to produce the desired results of getting the correct file sizes ("Target Video FileSize:") for the two main videos. This gets complicated by the fact that once I reduce the size of the OST video file (with the fake file) the AVS2DVD program also boosts the size of the TRAILER video and the "The Making Of" videos, larger too! {headache forming lol}

5) I create this fake OST video, then make a new AVS2DVD project again, setting up the DVD menu, and run AVS2DVD again, with the "Edit Encoder Command Parameters at Runtime" ticked. I close every Hcenc ini menu that comes up, accepting the defaults.

6) When the menu for MuxMan comes up, I stop... and go to where I stored the Trailer, OST, and "The Making Of..." files, (including the chapters.txt file for the OST, which I've customized with the actual start locations of each music piece) and RENAME the files to the same name as the current project. I SAVE all of the current project files off in temporary storage, then overwrite the current project files with the previously stored Trailer, OST and "Making" video, audio, and chapter files. Then I close the MuxMan menu screen, so the AVS2DVD process can complete.

7) Then I manually use ImageBurn to burn a DVD ISO image, to test the results: Fits on a single 4.7GB DVD? Not too much slack space on the DVD?

8) If unsatisfactory results, then I must resize the Fake OST video AGAIN, and refresh the OST video in the AVS2DVD project (so the NEW Fake OST file size will be used in the next attempt) then rebuild the DVD Menu again, which got destroyed by refreshing the OST video.

9) Go back to mid-step 5 and repeat.

Clearly... so many variables are involved that this ends up being somewhat a trial-and-error process, VERY time consuming (as each project attempt takes 3 hours minimum) and a number of attempts, while fine tuning the end result.

It would be SO great if I could just specify the desired "Target Video FileSize:" right off the bat, since I already KNOW what I want, at the beginning.

Since the behavior of Hcenc doesn't allow me (via the MaxBitRate and BitRate .ini file settings) to create a LARGER file size than specified in the AVS2DVD "Target Video FileSize:" parameter, I'm forced to jump through these many many hoops just in order to trick the AVS2DVD program to send a LARGER "Target Video FileSize:" parameter to the Hcenc program.

Any chance for a manual "handle" on "Target Video FileSize:"?

As always, thanks for your wonderful AVS2DVD program, with the splendid DVD Menu. I am very appreciative of this fine program of yours.

Respectfully,
Gerald

Last edited by Pawpcorn; 13th July 2012 at 11:20.
Pawpcorn is offline   Reply With Quote