View Single Post
Old 19th October 2018, 17:20   #27883  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
UHD... smaller file size that I thought...

Wow... First off A+ @jdobbs for adding UHD to MKV support.

I did a few with 60.02, 3 and 4... using Alt Movie Only, CRF=20, Encoder+better(fast), "MKV Container, HEVC, NO_RESIZE, Intact Audio"

With i8700k cpu, it takes anywhere from 7-9hrs depending on the movie. HDR flags remain intact per media info. Playing the files via SPMC 16.7.4 on my FireTV Cube with my Sony XBR 4K TV, the TV reports HDR and colors look right (good).

I'm surprised at the file size. Its smaller than I expected. For example, Valerian And the City of a Thousand Planets compressed from 70gig down to 13gig. (70gig was using MakeMKV to rip to MKV file without compression/etc.)

While I managed to watch a few other 4K converts I did, and they looked better than internet streaming (UHD via VUDU) of the same titles, Valerian just finished over night so I didn't get to watch it yet. I can't wait to get a chance to see how good it looks after compressing like this.
Actually I was surprised in my testing also. The UHD with a fixed CRF was shrinking much smaller than I had expected. But the quality was outstanding. It's just one more example of how superior X265 is to most HEVC encoders. It also shows how much wasted space is used on the original UHD discs (probably just to make them harder to copy).

Now... if I can find a way to get past that annoying audio sync issue when using TSMUXER to create UHD-BDs, I'll feel better. Interestingly, the higher the bitrate used the worse the sync issue gets. If I output several UHD movies to a single UHD disc (low bitrate as a result of a CRF of 23 or so) it seems to sync ok. I have to believe the whole issue is related to some X265 setting, although I have failed to find it. If I create a UHD disc from an untouched HEVC file (original, not reencoded) the bitrate doesn't seem to matter and the mux via TSMUXER followed by my UHD corrections works perfectly.

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th October 2018 at 21:47.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote