View Single Post
Old 12th March 2009, 14:32   #8  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Architecture also makes a difference with x264; I tested out different builds - vanilla, -march=pentium3, -march=athlon64, the Windows builds of the same versions using Wine, etc. And you can definitely see a jump in fps by optimizing for your processor. Funny enough, running the Windows versions with Wine is actually faster than using them under Windows itself.

I have AviSynth 2.58, VirtualDub/Mod and a Windows build of mencoder that I use with Wine, which allows me to output a raw i420 or ffvhuff AVI that's exactly what I need to give to the Linux version of x264 (in the case of AVI, with the video piped in through the Linux version of mplayer so the fps and res info is retained). I try not to mix or pipe Wine apps to the native versions if I can keep from it.

Now if only I could manage to get the new revisions of xvid_encraw in a way that's compilable on Linux, I'd be set. I can build the one in the Xvid daily snapshots just fine, but it's missing a bunch of the features that I'm used to. If I can't I can at least fall back to using VirtualDub + Koepi's VFW builds to do it (I tried to get the Windows xvid_encraw to run and I got rather lost; I didn't really want to dive into fiddling with the Wine registry yet).

Last edited by qyot27; 12th March 2009 at 14:35.
qyot27 is offline   Reply With Quote