View Single Post
Old 8th March 2011, 16:22   #106  |  Link
yetanotherid
Banned

I must have done a bit more experimenting with different brands originally than I remembered. When I pulled out the oldest folder of "good burn" discs there was more of a mixed bag inside than I expected.

Some of them actually gave me a bit of a scare. For instance a couple of discs dropped to 50% near the end of the burn, but after cleaning off the fingerprints they stayed above 90%. That then got me wondering about the previous burn tests and all the handling those discs have endured. Even though I wiped the worst of the fingerprints and smudges off before testing them, it made me wonder if they'd have tested a lot better if I'd put them through a disc cleaner first, and whether underneath the scuffed plastic the burns were actually still okay.

So after all my messing around today I'm not sure if it achieved anything. There's no point uploading screen shots of the oldest "good burns" as they still look good, and I tested Benq, Prodisc, Ricoh, Sony, Taiyo Yuden, TDK and Vebatim discs. None really showed any signs of deterioration although they're all almost the same age as the previous discs. It leaves me pretty convinced most discs, especially good quality blanks, should last a long time in storage but it's obvious discs which are being used rather than stored can in fact deteriorate quite a bit. I just don't know whether the fact that they weren't as good a quality to begin with would cause them to deteriorate quickly, or whether under the scuffed plastic they haven't deteriorated as much as the quality tests indicate they have.
yetanotherid is offline   Reply With Quote