View Single Post
Old 13th February 2021, 19:49   #2255  |  Link
Trench

Thanks for the info.

Sigh... Symantec antivirus. Or more specifically, Norton Data Protector. MKV and other media files are by default among those it wants to "protect".

The "C:\Files\StaxRip" folder WAS NOT in a directory tree that Norton Data Protector was configured to watch, though. The default folders it watches are just the user profile folders like Documents, Pictures, Videos, Desktop, etc.

But something about Symantec's evaluation of "should I be protecting this .MKV file" was apparently misfiring here, and seemingly "specifically when traversal of a mount point is involved in the path to the .MKV file."

Because as soon as I put the failing 2.1.8.0 Stable StaxRip.exe process on the exclude list for Norton Data Protector, no more failure.

This doesn't directly explain why 2.1.7.0 Stable changed from "failure case" to "success case" from January 2021 to February 2021, because it's not on the process exclude list.

But it was just very suspicious that "2.1.7.0 initially failed back in January, but in February 2.1.7.0 now works, but the newly-downloaded 2.1.8.0 fails." Which is what made me start looking at antivirus possibilities. My best guess is that the passage of time perhaps made Symantec "trust" the process, in ways it didn't trust the newly-downloaded process.

Off to figure out how to report to Symantec.

Oh, and just to confirm, the tests related to current directory did not change the outcome. So "good news" in that regard, that even if it was some other third-party's fault, the change in CWD for processes wasn't a factor in experiencing it. Even though the source file being inside or outside the mount point did affect it.

Last edited by Trench; 13th February 2021 at 19:53. Reason: a word