View Single Post
Old 14th November 2018, 13:33   #7  |  Link
stormy1777

LoRd_MuldeR -

Thanks SO much for your time!!!

Not fixated on VirtualDub, been using it for years, but certainly open to new tools.

Since this video stuff is not my full-time, just a hobby, need basic (single tool) built-in editing abilities - just load video, clip front/end, and add audio (music/voice) and sync length of these two, more or less.

The link you sent seems mostly "encoders" (MeGUI, Handbrake, etc.) with a GUI front-end, so they help construct the CLI for user.

these tools don't really "handle" the video file in the sense that they allow basic trim/preview.

But that got me to re-visit and evaluate other options, while at it.

Tried: Blender.. boy.. that is an *overkill* for my needs, it seems like a huge learning curve, just the editor... need to learn keyboard shortcuts, etc. Maybe one day when i can block a week or two to really learn it.

Next tried: KDEnLIVE, not deterred by the known issues on Windows

https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual/Windows_Issues

SIDENOTE:
Quote:
added a single MOV and MP3 into project, pulled both down so they are on timeline, took a while to get it to play (due to known issues), but the AUDIO started playing *after* all the video finished even though *visually* they are aligned..

Decided to render, got a 6 min video, first 3 min are the video, with no audio, and last 3 min are the audio with black screen

also, it was not clear how to 'decouple' audio/video compression, i.e. 'copy audio' as-is (with no compression).

Tried another rendering, changed Quality to 20, and audio to 160, got an identically long "video", all 6 minutes are BLACK, and last 3 minutes have the audio track

This is all using latest 18.08.2 on Windows 7....
Just funny.. decided to give a second try, deleted all tracks, added MOV and MP3 again, this time it went OK.. although Codec code came as AVC1 not sure if this is as 'compatible' as 'x264' (with virtualdub).

I may revisit this KDEnLive b/c it might work, although it does have way too many features for my needs

For old-time sake, tried: Avidemux, wow, that GUI is pretty dated and very hard to move around, so abandoned it pretty quickly.

LiVES is a Linux only.....

Decided that VD2 is not that bad after all few MB binary, lightweight, no learning curve

IMPORTED the VD external profiles, from here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...e3#post2390309

They appear OK, however could not figure how to actually USE them.. ctrl-P (Compression) opens the built-in (plugins) encoders.. It's funny, anyways, after about an hour of battling with the virtualdub forums and the GUI, finally found the option to:

EXPORT -> USING EXTERNAL ENCODERS

Then chose the "ACV [Film] (10bit)", it ran for about 30 seconds, with projected filesize as 16GB (source file is roughly 1GB , then crashed with:

Code:
---------------------------
VirtualDub Error
Write error occurred on file "<anonymous pipe>": Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.
OK   
Figure the 'projected size' is not known to VD so large value is normal, since it puts out the raw video for the external encoder to handle.. but not sure what "system resource" is missing Maybe more memory, not sure..

Decided to try the "ACV [Film] (8bit)" instead, and wow, it went through all the way, but, at the very end, probably when it "mixes" audio/video or something it crashed with this:

VirtualDub Error
CLI: The multiplexing process failed with error code 1 (00000001). Check the log for possible error messages.
OK

Found this post: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...s-at-multiplex

Tried without the .mp4 at the end, and still same failure...

I suspect that this is b/c the encoders in that "pack" are very old, also noticed the "bin/x265" has "x265-8bit" whereas the "bin/x264" has the "x264-10bit", shouldn't it be other way around?

anyways, need to find the right/recent/current External encoders then maybe that will be it, until then, using the plugins in VD2, they are at r2851 from OCT2017, so not that bad.

Sorry for the long post, I don't expect an "answer", let me do some homework and followup in the respective place

Stormy.
stormy1777 is offline   Reply With Quote