View Single Post
Old 20th March 2018, 06:32   #23  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neillithan View Post
I'm betting my money on AV1 just because Google shoehorned WebP into Chrome, and we can expect them to do the same with AV1. Once that happens, >60% browser market share will have access to it, while you can provide a fallback method for non compliant browsers. Meanwhile, AV1 has support from an endless list of companies, hardware support is coming, everyone seems to be really excited about this free, open source, royalty free format that's getting collaboration from half a dozen projects. AV1 image format is basically going to make a huge impact whenever it arrives.

That doesn't mean I think AV1 is the best image format. It certainly isn't, and has plenty of room for improvements. It has a problem with saturation, and loss of grainy / noisy micro details. However, if you want a tiny image file with an alpha channel, AV1 is going to be absolutely fantastic for that. Jpeg will still always be king of noisy/grainy images... but chances are, you won't care about that if you care about filesize.

The PIK format is interesting, as it appears to be true successor to JPEG and great at preserving micro details and noise/grain.... however, it has some artifacting issues around edges that I think need to be resolved... and even then, it's pretty much a doomed format since adoption rate will be a big whopping 0%, guaranteed. I'm not losing any sleep over this.

As soon as AV1 image format arrives, apples HEIF/HEIC image format is essentially doomed. Apple is a retarded ass company that somehow manages to make money, but I'm fairly confident their decision to push HEIC/HEIF is about the stupidest decision they've made yet.
Apple has always been a company that would rather design a better format than use someone else's, especially someone else's unfinished format. They had a large hand in creating HEIF, and some input in AVC & HEVC, of course they're going to use and push it. Given that it will likely be well over a year before any image format based on the still-unfinalized video format, possibly several years if they dally and bicker, those who want to change aren't going to hold onto unrealized hope forever. It's as likely that AV1 suffers the same fate as Vorbis vs MP3 & MP4 or VP8 vs AVC; too little too late. VP9 is afloat because of Google's clout, but hardly dominating the field. I hope AV1 will do better, but my prediction is that it'll always be the alternative, not the normal.

BPG and HEIF show that there's a lot more to it than just having an I-frame with extra color types; if they're smart they'd just re-use HEIF with the underlying codec swapped out, because it pretty much has every bit of flexibility and power that anyone would want, except that vector capabilities are pretty simple -- no SVG competitor there. It reminds me a lot of Photoshop's PSD, except open and based on MP4.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote