View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2018, 16:14   #15  |  Link
hello_hello

The Lagarith Lossless Codec might be worth trying. It'll probably be faster than x264/x265 lossless, although I don't know for sure as I haven't used the latter two for lossless encoding. FFmpeg Huffyuv Lossless should be reasonably fast. It appears to default to RGB, which probably doesn't matter as I think deshaker is an RGB filter so it'll be converted anyway. If you don't tell FFmpeg Huffyuv to convert to YV12, you might have to ensure the lossless version is converted to YV12 yourself for x264 encoding.

Lossless files are always much larger than the lossy sources used to create them, as they don't throw information away, whereas you can achieve the same file size with lossy re-encoding, but there's always a loss of quality, at least in theory. How perceivable it is depends on the bitrate etc.
Some lossless formats compress more than others. It tends to be a speed vs compression thing. If you want to see really big files, try the Uncompressed RGB/YcbCr option for creating the lossless output (Edit: Whoops, I missed where you said you already tried that).

I don't know enough abut how deshaker works to comment on using greyscale for the first pass.

Last edited by hello_hello; 3rd December 2018 at 16:28.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote