View Single Post
Old 5th May 2020, 15:24   #59493  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
All this conversation and different opinions on what is wrong or right for 3D Lut, its making me think I am just going to switch to 2020 as it is in my projector and enjoy my movies
Your projector is not rec 2020. it has its own way of mapping a rec2020 Container (from file) onto whatever gamut it does have, which is something closer to DCI-P3.

The reason we get posterization from argyll cms is when its gamut compression engine fails. This failure can be the result of many things in the chain not necessarily always the same.

This compression failure is also not simply the result of how big or small the gamut is.

I have SDR displays using a p3 and rec2020 lut, It's only 76% dci p3 and yet NO Posterization.

Smaster's observation of getting posterization tuning for rec2020 is TRUE for HIS DISPLAY. It is NOT_TRUE for all displays. Again, it's not due to how big the gamut is, it's how closely aligned the primaries are to the source color space, and the various interplays of the display chain. We have multiple devices with multiple maps.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 5th May 2020 at 15:27.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote