View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2016, 09:24   #2986  |  Link
manolito

I bit the bullet and did my own muxing tests using 3 different versions of Mplex. And I was quite surprised by the results...

Test bed:
ThinkPad T410, Core i5 CPU, Win7 64-bit
Latest AVStoDVD 2.85 Alpha
Mplex versions:
1. Version 1.9.0 (2.2.7), size 151 KB, the version which works without SSE2
2. Version 1.9.0 (2.2.7), size 165 KB, the version which comes with the latest A2D Alpha and does not work without SSE2
3. Version 2.1.0 (2.2.7), the version which comes with the latest 32-bit version of DVDStyler. It also needs SSE2, and it is a shared build which needs 2 external libraries. Download it here: http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/I4vwyd2r/file.html
Source file:
A full 3 and a half hour DVD with 2 audio tracks (Woodstock Director's cut)

I rebooted the computer before every muxing test to exclude any possible caching effects. The muxing times were as follows:

1. 3 min 45 sec
2. 4 min 08 sec
3. 4 min 45 sec

I repeated the tests several times because I had a hard time believing this, but the muxing times were constant in every test.

I also compared the resulting MPEG2 files, they had exactly the same size for every version of Mplex.exe. I believe (without testing this) that the results were bit identical.

Conclusion:
The oldest Mplex version (size 151 KB) was by far the fastest one. Absolutely no need to upgrade to a newer Mplex version to achieve better speed. Enabling SSE2 in the compiler settings has nothing but adverse effects in this case.

This is a clear example that the attitude of some people in this forum (to look down on others who still use older hardware and older Operating Systems) is not justified. In many cases if a newer software version does not work any longer under WinXP or on a CPU without SSE2 support the reasons are not technical at all. Mostly it is just the laziness of the developer who cannot bring himself to toggle a couple of compiler switches. And of course there's also a couple of developers who seem to be on a mission to eradicate older OSs or hardware. Evangelists...

Alright, enough ranting for today...

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 22nd October 2016 at 09:28.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote