View Single Post
Old 29th March 2011, 02:43   #31  |  Link
dreamlayers

VirtualDub is okay

Recently I did some capturing from Video8. I used an ATI TV Wonder VE, a Bt8x8 based card, and Realtek HD audio line in. At first, VirtualDub 1.9.11 was a disappointment, with inserted frames and wrong and drifting AV sync. Disabling "Correct video timing for fewer frame drops/inserts" fixed the sync issues. After that, sync seemed accurate to less than one frame.

The inserted frames were always right before recording was stopped and restarted or before severe interference. It was either "1 inserted, 1 normal, new scene" or "1 inserted, 1 normal, 1 old scene interlaced with new". The inserted frame was an extra duplicate frame, rather than a replacement for a missing frame. I deleted the duplicate frame and the following frames before the scene change.

On one particular 2 hour recording, I got 12 dropped frames. I'm not sure what's up with that. It's not possible to locate these in the recording. I suppose they were dropped for sync reasons, and so they simply don't appear in the video. I guess 12 frames in 2 hours isn't bad.

Overall, I wouldn't say VirtualDub is great, but it's ok.
dreamlayers is offline   Reply With Quote