View Single Post
Old 13th June 2020, 02:30   #506  |  Link
hello_hello

zapp7,
It surprises me you're upscaling before TemporalDegrain2. I assume it looks better than de-graining first? I'm not saying it's the wrong way to do it, because whatever looks better....

The tiny bit of live action at the end of your sample looks quite good, and while most of the fuss here has been how to handle the CGI, I assume there's a lot more live action than CGI in most episodes. I watched the show years ago but I don't remember it all that well. I still think upscaling to 4k might be overkill though. How does it look if you just upscale to 1080p and let the TV do the rest? I do wonder if that'd make the GaiaHQ version look a little less "sharpened", while still looking better than the DVD.

The GaiaHQ sample does generally look a bit more detailed than my nnedi3 sample, but I think it's mostly in places where your upscaling fixes problems (aliasing) that needi3 doesn't. I'm not sure I don't prefer the GaiaCG sample JoelHruska uploaded though because the HQ version looks a bit over-sharpened in places to me. Mind you I'm sitting close to the monitor and nitpicking over comparisons of individual frames of CGI for a show that'd be mostly live action. It's what you prefer when the picture is moving and you're sitting on the couch that matters.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote