View Single Post
Old 15th December 2016, 11:02   #25328  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Half SBS isn't illegal. The player has no idea that it is side-by-side, since it is simply two pictures combined into a standard 1920x1080 format (typically, you could also do 720p or 480/576 if you wanted). The player just sends the 1080p picture to the playback device which then does the splitting/stretching of the SBS for 3D playback.

It would be, however, illegal to attempt to create a Full-SBS 3840x1080p picture and attempt to play it SBS from a BD player. To get full SBS you need standard 3D output to a 3D player. But I don't think I even allow that in BD-RB (I'd have to check, as it's been a while since I worked on the 3D code).
It's definitely Half-SBS in my case.
It seems to be a player issue (or perhaps a poor burn):
- Samsung BD-J5500 fails
- Samsung HT-F4500 works
- LG BP440 fails
"Fail" means it loads the BD25 Disc but refuses to play the menu. The player spins full speed (noisy), TV screen is black....
Anyway, Half-SBS in .mkv container works with all 3 players.

Edit:
... No, it was not a bad burn. There seems to be a problem with the original menu which appears to make reference to the no longer existing MVC (dependent) stream. Possibly the culprit are the 3D buttons in the original menu. It's all a bit speculative though ....

I re-imported the disc and made a Quick Menu instead of keeping the original menu. Now the half-SBS BD plays fine on all 3 players with the quick-menu using the original backdrop.

Edit2:
Some more findings:
- The original menu backdrop (a static picture) and the feature are both 3D ssif structured on the original disk.
- BD-RB recreates the menu as in-muxed stereo, and converts the feature (as requested) to Half-SBS. The in-muxed 3D menu does however not play with 2 of my players.
- When I re-import the disc, the menu backdrop is encoded as 2D (base view) and plays ok in 2D. The Half-SBS feature plays correctly stereoscopic after setting the TV to SBS.
After all my conclusion is that it seems to be a player issue, as these players apparently refuse to play the in-muxed menu backdrop.

Last edited by Sharc; 15th December 2016 at 15:56. Reason: Edit 2 added
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote