View Single Post
Old 5th March 2018, 20:37   #1432  |  Link
Actionable Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
IMO there is absolutely no reason to prefer Full-TAB over Full-SBS or FS.
I finished my TAB/SBS/FS testing. The LG plays all of them (via Plex), and automatically switches to 3D for all of them. They all look the same to me quality-wise, and this time I did a direct comparison by encoding the same movie three times. If there is a difference, I cannot see it.

Interestingly, since Plex on the AppleTV requires manually switching to 3D mode, I cannot use FS files there. This is because LG's "manually switch to 3D mode" has TAB and SBS choices only, no choice for FS. Therefore, playback from Plex on the AppleTV is limited to TAB/SBS (and I assume would be the same for any external media player).

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Unfortunately, there is still a problem. With FS, the video stream contains one frame for the left eye, then one frame for the right eye, and so on. On the other hand, the subtitle streams contain subtitles starting at a specific time code and ending at another time code. There is no way to specify "this subtitle stream must be displayed on the left (or right) frames only", and therefore it is impossible to mux real 3D subtitles with a FS video.
Well I was doing FS test anyway, so I decided to see what would happen if I toggled the subtitles on. Lo and behold, they work!

To be clear, these are not hard-coded subtitles. They are the default settings (3D only, Blu-ray SUP, 0 depth added) and they can be toggled on and off during playback.

I'm pretty happy! I now have a solution that automatically triggers 3D mode, is full resolution, and I can select optional audio tracks and subtitle tracks.

Thanks again for your tool, and to the others who contributed to it as well.