View Single Post
Old 29th November 2018, 08:48   #53774  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
  • Set the HDMI video range to Full or whatever Sony projectors call this setting to send RGB Full;
All the chian is in "full range" mode. Also the Sony projector.

Quote:
  • Disable highlight recovery strength in madVR to reduce the amount of image processing;
it was already disabled in my past tests.

Quote:
  • Find a scene with some banding and try considerably higher or lower target peak nits to see if the banding changes at all.
The banding changes. It "moves" into image but the banding amount is the same. Nits level in MadVr was 250. I moved to 100 and to 500 and the global amout of banding is still the same.

Quote:
Your projector might also have issues with RGB inputs compared to YCbCr.
This is the real point!
Yesterday I've done the following test:
Hooked up my HTPC to my LG OLED 65C8 tv.
When connected to this display into NVIDIA control panel (I've a GTX970) the option to send RGB@24hz 12bpc appears.
When the htpc was hooked up with Sony VW520ES projector the nvidia control panel only give me the possibility to connect me in RGB@24hz 8bpc.... I imagine that's because the sony projector has only hdmi ports @9Gbps.

Anyway first I've set nvidia control panel to work in RGB@24hz 8bpc. Set Madvr to see the display only 8bit compatible and activated ordered dithering.
The bandings that normally I can see on the Sony projector are vanished on Lg tv.

So this is the prove that Madvr works well in 8bit mode and what I've seen was only a problem of my sony pj with RGB signal input.

After this test I've set nvidia control panel to RGB@24hz 12bpc.
I've setted Madvr to ask to the display the bit depth.
Leaved ordered dithering.

When I've played my UHD HDR10 files I've seen (in full exclusive mode) madvr works in 10bit domain.

I've tested my reference scenes and bandings are not there. Sincerely I can't see any difference between my chain @8bit.

So my question is: With displays that accepts RGB@24hz 12bpc ... What is the best theorical setting?

is it better to set nvidia cp and madvr @8bit? or it's better to set the nividia cp@ 12bpc and madvr@10bit?

let me know.
Thanks
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote