View Single Post
Old 17th August 2019, 04:40   #90  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post

Even the section you quoted only refers to HD and SD colorimetry, implying SD is a single colorimetry.
The pdf appears to me to explain the method for converting analogue to digital. Below figure 2.6 it says:

Chromaticity coordinates specified are those currently used by 625-line and 525-line conventional
systems.

I doubt any of us are using 625 or 525 line displays any more, and it seems the colorimetry co-ordinates convert "from" those systems. Even if they're different in analogue form, it seems bizarre to use two formulas to convert them to different digital SD colorimetries rather than them ending up the same. If they're not intended to convert to the same colorimetry, why use different formulas?

There is a 625 and 525 chart. Notice their primaries for Red, Green, Blue are different

As mentioned earlier, in practice, the primaries are not adjusted for HD to SD conversion. You ignore it

You need to define matrix, transfer , primaries when converting from something to another. Input and output. Thats 6 values in and out. It becomes more important when you have other formats used in production like linear exr , then the transfer becomes important . The HD <=> SD case is covered by by 1,2,3 in my post above. 1) matrix is used 2) Transfer is cancelled out 3) primaries are usually ignored

Quote:
I must be missing the obvious here, and I won't get a chance till tomorrow, but I'll do some more reading to see if I can work out what I'm missing. In the mean time though, if there's two rec.601 colorimetries in digital form, which one do programs with only a single rec.601 option normally use?
Use in what way ?

If you mean "primaries" it's usually unspecified or ignored. But some do specify it in metadata, even if it's actually ignored in conversions. (and you can verify these things , since you have control over matrix, transfer and primaries with vapoursynth resize or fmtc, or avsresize in avisynth)

The way you test it, is take known colors and values such as colorbars, run it through your HD conversions to SD (or SD to HD if you want)

You can specify the matrix/transfer/primaries in/out .

Keep in mind - the way you or whatever program converts back to RGB is important if you are "viewing" it

Keep in mind that sometimes there are conversions done in the GPU, sometimes in the renderer

You can do this for different programs, editors, media players to check behaviour

It takes alot of time to do these tests, but I did this a while back and my findings were primaries are mostly ignored in most programs. If you corrected for primaries (709 primaries in, 601-6_625 or 601-6_525 out) the conversion looked different than the known values you started out with in HD .

The exception is vapoursynth. It reads metadata, and that metadata affects conversions. Often, you have to override the "props" or various properties if you want it to behave like other programs, very tricky if you forget (e.g. something might be flagged interlaced, though progressive content, like a PAL DVD, but vapoursynth will treat it interlaced for all operations unless you override the props)

Quote:
PS. I've had the table in the ColorMatrix help file in my head, which is one reason I'm confused about it now. To me it implies there's only a single rec.601 in digital form but maybe I've been mis-interpreting it.

That Colormatrix table you posted only specifies matrix, not the transfer or primaries.

The matrix values for 601-6_525 and 601-6_625 end up being the same - KR = 0.299; KB = 0.114 . But 709 is different. That's why we use matrix=blah when doing those conversions HD<=>SD conversions . But no matrix conversion between "PAL" and "NTSC" because they are the same

Better tables are in the more modern Rec. ITU-T H.265 standards document, which include 2020 and a bunch others along with their values and equations

E3 Color Primaries
E4 Transfer Characteristics
E5 Matrix Coefficients

Common tools like popular media players, only use matrix when converting back to RGB for display. The primaries are are not accounted for. You will get different colors than expected if you start adjusting primaries in that HD to SD or SD to HD case. Same with video editors and other tools

Last edited by poisondeathray; 17th August 2019 at 05:35.
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote