View Single Post
Old 11th June 2018, 10:38   #51298  |  Link
mkohman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
@mkohman

You options on the JVC are good, but your peak brightness in MadVR is too low. With 200nits, you are compressing highlights way too much with bright titles (those with MaxCLL above 2000nits). You have a new (as in recent) JVC model that gives this information in the info screen, so use it.

A good rule of thumb for peak brightness in MadVR for JVC users is around four time the actual peak brightness. For example, I have 120nits in low lamp (2200hours), so I use 480nits for 4000nits titles. With 1000nits titles, you might want to keep using 200nits. I have 170nits in high lamp, so I use around 650nits. That gives you a brightness factor of 4.

Hopefully we'll soon get a variable in MadVR which will allow us to select a different profile according to the content, and when the tonemapping is sorted we'll work on improving it with dynamic behaviour optimized for projector.

You can also ask calibration specific questions in the JVC Autocal thread over at AVS, lots of good people who know a lot about the JVC and will be happy to help re questions about HDR calibration that are not specific to MadVR.

In the meantime, be patient!
Thank you so much @Manni really look forward to things improving for projector HDR in madVR and really appreciate the work that @mashi and everyone else is putting into it..

The nitts situation makes sense, however I always use low lamp and I don't know how many nitts it produces.. I don't have the tool to measure it but I will have a play around 400 to 500 nitts in madVR and see how it looks.

Do you mind explaining what the info of maxCALL/maxFALL actually mean? Thank you [emoji106]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
mkohman is offline   Reply With Quote