View Single Post
Old 13th November 2011, 12:05   #1  |  Link
Chibs

Creating all-region NTSC DVD, getting streak/band/ing on PAL player. [I'm hopeless!]

[EDIT: I recorded a video of the problem, and uploaded it to vimeo. The link is below.]
http://vimeo.com/32034089

Hello all,

Later this year I'm getting my first film published, and to have full control I decided to make the DVD image myself.
Now, I want to be able to sell this film internationally, as there's been some interest from outside of Europe. However, we do not have the option of creating two DVD versions.

I read that PAL players are supposed to be able to play NTSC DVDs just fine, so I figured I'd create a region-free NTSC DVD.
However, on my PAL DVD player I'm getting a weird kind of streaking and banding. It does not look like an interlacing issue, but there's horizontal bands all over the screen in various shades of the actual image. This is most visible when exposure shifts happen. The bands vary in size, and make the film unwatchable...

Now, the issue for me is that it DOES NOT show up on the PC. It plays back perfectly on the PC.

The original source is a 1080p25 source file. To convert it to the right specifications I have used the following AviSynth scripts:

Code:
#Load Video
AVISource("G:\EFOS\lag.avi")

#Convert to YV12 colorspace for LSFmod
ConvertToYV12(interlaced=false)

#Spline 36 resize to NTSC standard
Spline36Resize(720,480)

#LSFmod sharpen without preblur
LSFmod(strength=90, Smode = 5, Smethod = 3, preblur="OFF", secure=true, soothe=true, keep=80)
Which is then loaded in the following script:

Code:
AVISource("resize.avs")
ConvertToYV12()
Tweak(bright=10)
Limiter(16, 235, 16, 240)
AssumeTFF() # NTSC
ChangeFPS(60000,1001)
Separatefields().SelectEvery(4,0,3).Weave()
The Tweak is there to brighten up the image slightly for TV playback.

The final AviSynth script I load into TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5, to deliver a DVD compliant MPEG2 stream with a max bitrate of 8000kbps, 29,97fps, 720x480 with a NTSC widescreen PAR. This is then loaded into DVD Architect Pro 5 where it is burned without re-encoding, video set to top-field interlacing.

At first I thought it might be an interlacing issue, so I removed the last command of the AviSynth script and let TMPGEnc do the interlacing, but to no avail. I tried setting both top and bottom-field interlacing in DVD Architect Pro, but to no avail.

I'm hopeless. What am I doing wrong? If any other information is required, let me know. All versions I've tried work perfect on the PC, but fail on all three DVD players I've tried. What's the key to making a universal DVD that can be used worldwide?

Thanks for reading and helping, I'm all out of options.

Last edited by Chibs; 13th November 2011 at 15:35.
Chibs is offline   Reply With Quote