View Single Post
Old 13th November 2011, 17:47   #4  |  Link
TheSkiller

My guess is your DVD-Players are setup to always output PAL no matter what's on the DVD. This means they'll do a on-the-fly normconversion to PAL, or, how I'd describe it, they butcher it to PAL.

There might be something else going wrong to make things even worse in your case but please do not expect any DVD-Player to do even a decent on-the-fly normconversion. It'll always look inferior on DVD-Players that do not output your NTSC DVD in it's native format.
To get around this one has to change the setting of the DVD-Player's TV standard to "Auto" instead of PAL, usually there are three options: Auto, PAL, NTSC.
The problem however is, while Auto will never butcher a DVD to another TV standard, it requires the TV to be able to properly display the 525 Lines 60 Hz signal that is coming from the DVD-Player now. Modern TVs should all be able to display it correctly, older decent ones (sold after maybe around 1995) do mostly as well, but the chances of a correct display with those is much better if a Scart cable is used which supports RGB video (which also requires the Scart cable to be connected to the correct RGB-capable Scart connector on the TV if there is more than one). You see, there are many places where problems might occur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibs View Post
What's the key to making a universal DVD that can be used worldwide?
There is none.
There are too many "if's" and compromises when making a universal DVD.
If you want to deliver the highest compatibility and especially also the highest possible video quality then you simply have to make both a NTSC and a PAL DVD, no arguing about it, you've seen yourself what may happen otherwise.
Your source is 25p, converting it to NTSC 29.97i when not absolutely needed is not a good idea, a waste of quality for anyone watching that DVD in a PAL country, not even speaking of the problems that this may cause, like I said.

By the way, to "convert it to the right specifications" you should resize it to 704x480.
"Brightening" it using Tweak(bright=10) is not a good thing either, it'll make the video washed out on properly calibrated TVs, assuming the levels of your video are in TV-range to begin with (maybe they are not, have you checked it with histogram("levels")?).

I've had a brief look at your video, to me it doesn't look like your TV is having any problems with the actual signal (well, that might be because it's converted to PAL by the player).
Did you encode it explicitly as interlaced video within TMPEG?
You should first check what happens if you change the DVD-Players setting to Auto and then report back.

Edit: You might also notice certain problems with the probably exessive vertical sharpness of your video (Spline36 downsized and LSF'ed) like heavy line twitter in static shots and jaggies whenever detailed things move.

Last edited by TheSkiller; 13th November 2011 at 18:43.
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote