View Single Post
Old 21st March 2019, 04:54   #228  |  Link
Wolfberry
Helenium(Easter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
I always have like 15 different ffms2 versions handy for AVS and VPY. The way I organize it is keep each one in a separate labelled subfolder. Because each build has different kinds of quirks and bugs . Some with different formats, e.g some drop certain types of MOV support, others will get the fps slightly off with buggy timecodes. Others will double TS frames (reading field rate as frame rate) . Some will have VP9 issues. Some AV1 issues. Some will have seek issues with certain formats. LSmash versions can share these little bugs too , but they are not as frequently released

I would love a "super duper" ffms2 and lsmash version
Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
Read: it may have nothing to do with the encoder or the decoder, but about the ability of FFMS2 to use the FFmpeg API to parse the bitstream in the correct way, and certain encoder/decoder combinations expose errant behavior in the parser. This would explain why ffplay (or mpv) works fine on the same sample and the same build of libdav1d that FFMS2 uses, but FFMS2 exhibits problems.
I think that the reason behind the different kinds of quirks and bugs is the different FFmpeg version that FFMS2 / L-SMASH is built with (like 3.x or 4.x)

A newer FFmpeg version can fix/add support for some formats but can also introduce new bugs in some other formats in FFMS2 / L-SMASH due to their ability to use the FFmpeg API to parse the bitstream in the correct way.