View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2019, 19:33   #183  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
24x5=120... So nothing to blend... As far as I understand smoothmotion
Smooth motion does not work that way. When enabled it always blends to perfectly match the refresh rate, it does not delay the first frame presentation for a screen update. It always does a weighted blend perfectly timed to the screen refresh. The three options are used to control this behavior but if says enabled in the OSD it is always blending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Also, on a different subject, does using Smooth Motion in madVR improve 24fps material playback with regard to motion resolution? Theoretically the frames updating on the screen would be 120 and not 24, which should make things better for a sample and hold display. And with 120 frames to work with, blurring should be minimal, right?
I do like smooth motion for 24 fps on OLEDs, the very quick sample and hold looks better with the blends between frames. Especially for content without motion blur, like Anime. This is at only 60 Hz too, at 120 Hz I just use smooth motion all the time.

This does not help motion resolution at all, smooth motion can only make motion resolution worse. As a technology smooth motion trades some motion resolution for smoothness, but at 120 Hz the loss in motion resolution is negligible (the increase in smoothness is less significant as well).