View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2018, 04:39   #2  |  Link
manolito

For taming Win7 UAC there is a software called TweakUAC. There also is a software called "CacheMan" which has an option to tame UAC. I tried both, but my conclusion was to disable UAC altogether. I do not need to be babysitted and protected from myself, at least not by M$.

For the Win7 start menu I use the older Classic Shell v. 3.5.0. It provides a lot of options to tweak the Explorer appearance, works for me. But basically I try to avoid Win Explorer, I use Total Commander instead.

One essential thing for Win7 is to have a utility available to grab permissions for files and folders by right-clicking a file or folder in Explorer. I use an older REG script (which unfortunately is language dependant so I won't post it here). And since users can screw up their Win7 installation pretty bad by using such a tool it is also essential to have the "acl_repair_utility_for_vista_7.zip" readily available.

To make the DirectShow Filters usable under Win7 there is the Filter Tweaker Tool by CLSID. I chose the more radical approach to disable the Preferred Filters in the Registry altogether. Delete the content of these keys:
Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectShow\Preferred
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectShow\Preferred (obviously, x64 OS only)
Of course you need to grab the permissions first. After this Win7 will behave exactly like WinXP when it comes to DirectShow Filters. Whatever filter has been installed last will get the highest merit.

For us retro XP users (and even more retro using Non-SSE2 CPUs) I started an ever growing list of the latest software versions which do still work under XP and/or Non-SSE2. This includes Google Chrome, VLC Player, X264, CCleaner, MalwareBytes, LAVFilters, MKVToolnix, FFmpeg, AVIDemux, MakeMKV, MP4Tools and some others...

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 23rd October 2018 at 05:03.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote