View Single Post
Old 13th June 2019, 20:29   #101  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Wonkey [EDIT: quick rename from that which once was] , what did you decide on regarding VNC ?

In the past (I aint got it set up currently), I've used TightVNC on WXP (least problematic that I've found on Wnn, together with dfMirage [some kind of window manager with compression),
and on Linux TigerVNC [apparently by same guys as TightVNC], never had much [if any] in the way of problems with that setup.
Same combination (dfMirage is a mirror driver, which as I understand is an efficient way to copy what's on the screen). TigerVNC as a service is great - I use it to provide multiple desktops to multiple users on a single server. But trying to make my default Linux desktop accessible was a nightmare. It couldn't start automatically, it had to be started from the command line, and then it would - usually, but not always - close itself after disconnecting. It was the main reason I went back to Windows - that, and Foxit Reader, which allows you to select columns of text in a PDF and which is very useful to me.

Oh, and don't get me started on using a network-connected scanner/printer...